[Tagging] tourism=guest_house or tourism=bed_and_breakfast ?

Dudley Ibbett dudleyibbett at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 17 16:47:51 UTC 2013

>From a tourists perspective it is quite important to know whether it is self catering accommodation or not.  It is also important to know whether it is a single building unit (i.e. house,cottage,chalet) as opposed to a number of units in a building (i.e. apartments).  I would be inclined to use tourism=apartments for the latter.  Types of tourist accommodation do seem to be quite country specific.  There are very few tourist apartments in the UK but they are very common in Croatia for example. I would agree that tourism=chalet would seem to be the most appropriate tag for a gîte.


> Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 12:51:10 +0100
> From: craigw84 at fastmail.fm
> To: tagging at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] tourism=guest_house or tourism=bed_and_breakfast ?
> On 2013-10-17 09:52, Pieren wrote:
> > Could someone explain the difference between "tourism=guest_house" and
> > "tourism=bed_and_breakfast" ?
> > Both are suggested here:
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dguest_house
> > but only "guest_house" is really documented in the wiki.
> >
> > In taginfo, we find 527 "tourism=bed_and_breakfast" and 32382
> > "tourism=guest_house" (accidentally, taginfo says "Guest house and
> > Bed&Breakfast for "tourism=guest_house")
> In UK terms, they are much the same thing. Some places refer to 
> themselves as B&Bs, some as guest houses, sometimes both.
> Usually a B&B would be smaller, ie one or two rooms, with the owner also 
> living in the house, and doing most of the work. Whereas a guesthouse 
> may be bigger, more like a hotel, and more staff etc. But I have seen 
> plenty of small places calling themselves guesthouses. I don't think 
> there is any legal distinction.
> So it makes sense to tag both as tourism=guest_house. Plus tag the 
> number of rooms/beds to indicate how big it is.
> > I'm asking because in France we do have a diffence when guests are in
> > an independent building (gîte [1]), usually for at least a week or a
> > week-end, or just special bedrooms (bed&breakfast) as "guests" in
> > private homes. So, I'm looking if we could reuse the two existing tags
> > or if I should create a sub-tag like "tourism=guest_house" +
> > "guest_house=bed_and_breakfast" or
> > "guest_house=whatever_in_an_independent_building"
> If its a separate building (with self-catering), I wouldn't call it a 
> guest house. That's more like tourism=chalet.
> Though maybe a more generic term for holiday chalets/cottages/apartments 
> etc would be good. And some way of distinguishing a single holiday house 
> to rent, from a larger 'holiday park'.
> Craig
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20131017/0416f0ea/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list