[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

Frank Little frankosm at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 19 19:41:55 UTC 2013

As others have pointed out, bicycle=no may have also been used by mappers to
exclude bicycles not just to exclude cycling; I'd say we can't know what
people meant (though I imagine mostly it will have had the meaning of 'no
cycling').

I looked to the wiki for clarity on usage, but the Bicycle page under "Bicycle
restrictions" only refers explicitly to cycling in the entries for
bicycle=dismount and oneway:bicycle=yes/no . Other entries refer simply to
bicycles and specifically bicycle:no is defined as "Where bicycles are not
permitted". So I can't see justification for assuming that people will have
only interpreted the bicycle=no tag to mean "no cycling". Maybe they did,
maybe not.

The wiki page Key:access does refer to "bicycle=* (cyclists)" but the page for
country defaults (OSM tags for routing/Access-Restrictions) just refers to
bicycles not cyclists or cycling.

BTW: The country access defaults page shows that in 16 of the countries for
which defaults are given, pedestrians can walk on the cycleways (sometimes,
only if there is no adjacent sidewalk). So it is unclear why the OSM 'default'
for a cycleway is said to be foot=no. Related to this: the
Tag:highway=cycleway page says "In most countries foot access on cycleways is
not allowed per default (see default access restrictions)." This is incorrect.
The first line on that page "The highway=cycleway tag indicates a separate way
which is mainly or exclusively used by cyclists." could probably better read
"mainly used or sometimes exclusively used ..." .