[Tagging] cleanup measurement_station / monitoring_station?

malenki osm_ at malenki.ch
Tue Oct 29 16:22:06 UTC 2013

At the moment there exist:
man_made=measurement_station
man_made=monitoring_station
Both for mapping the same kind of objects.
After three years of coexisting there should be finally a cleanup

A little about the history of the tags:
The proposal for man_made=measurement_station was created on 2nd April
2010.¹
"measurement_station" was created by German user grossing and me pushing
him a little. Since in German language a lot of stuff regarding weather
gets "gemessen" so "measured" sounded the best pick.

The tag page man_made=monitoring_station was created on 20th May 2010, ²
its evolution is explained on its talk page.

Question one:
What do you think is the better matching name for the tag -
monitoring_station or
measurement_station?

Question two:

After consenting to one tag are there any voices against an automatic
unifying of the tagging, that is, changing all measurement_station to
monitoring_station or vice versa?

Momentarily usage:
measurement_station: 1 766 times
monitoring_station: 2 741 times (where 1773 objects seem to come from
various imports.)

Either way I would for things monitored/measured stick with the tags
from monitoring_station. It is better to list them each with a single
key/value-pair instead of a semicolon separated row.
monitoring:weather=yes
monitoring:water_quality=yes
vs
monitoring=water_quality;weather

But I would not define any settings as default like is done here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dmonitoring_station#Additional_Tags

Your opinions?

Regards
Thomas