[Tagging] How to determine the value for admin_level?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Sep 1 10:57:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 01.09.2013 12:38, amrit karmacharya wrote:
> 1) country
> 2) development regions (total 5)
> 3) zones (3 in 4 development regions, 2 in 1 development region, total 14)
> 4) district (4-8 districts in 1 zone, total 75)
> 5) village and municipality
> 6) ward
>
> one way is to give them level from 2-7 according to heirarchy. Would
> this be an appropriate tagging scheme?

In practice, while 3 to 7 are relatively un-standardised, 8 is very
often used for municipal borders. Therefore I would suggest

your 1 - admin level 2
your 2 - admin level 3 or 4
your 3 - admin level 4 or 5
your 4 - admin level 6
your 5 - admin level 8
your 6 - admin level 9 or 10

It may help to find out how, if at all, NUTS or LAU standards apply to
Nepal and then translate these levels to OSM admin levels similar to
other countries.

Bye
Frederik