[Tagging] Utility corridor mapping

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Wed Sep 4 12:35:47 UTC 2013

Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:
> To see how it feels, I've started to tag my local area with:
>
> utilities=underground
>

> In areas where I know that all overhead wires have been undergrounded.
> complete tag list might be:
>
> utilities=underground  ( no overhead utilities are present )
> utilities=overhead  (overhead wires are visible)
> utilities=none    (it is known that utilities don't run in this
> corridor,
> even underground)
>

> But I will assume a default of utilities=overhead  in this region.
>
> -------------------------------
> This makes a base assumption that our road centerlines represent a
> "corridor", which
> has various attributes (lanes, sidewalks, utilities).  Later
> refinements
> can add detail of course
> and split out elements.
>
> It maps the visible part of our world (the wires), without intending
> to map
> the power network.
>
> And it uses common terms (e.g. undergrounding) even though they are
> not
> precise.

You might also want to have utilities=underground_and_overhead as a possible value, to handle cases where some utility cables, but not all, have been placed underground.  Or, would this be handled by having two separate utility tags?

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."  -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.