[Tagging] Utility corridor mapping

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Thu Sep 5 00:13:37 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 5:35 AM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>wrote:

> You might also want to have utilities=underground_and_overhead as a
> possible value, to handle cases where some utility cables, but not all,
> have been placed underground. Or, would this be handled by having two
> separate utility tags?

The only distinction I'm interested in capturing is "are there wires strung
overhead".  Those are visible mapable objects,
and relevant for view impacts and in fire and earthquake escape.

I'm less interested in mapping invisible infrastructure.  Can you think of
a clear tagging scheme that allows simple mapping
of the visible power/cable/phone/fibre lines, yet allows others to map in
greater depth?