[Tagging] How to map an household goods store?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 16 10:10:45 UTC 2013

>From a UK perspective my feeling is that houseware and home are not
synonyms - "home" suggests more furnishings, maybe lighting etc but not
so much the utilitarian objects that might be better labelled as
"houseware".

Kitchenware would be a category of houseware; other categories/subsets
might include bathroom stuff (brushes, sponges, ...), garage stuff
(cloths, sponges, ...), garden stuff (buckets, hoses, gloves, ...) etc.

Lighting, furnishings etc would not be houseware but (I suggest)
"furnishing" (distinct from "furniture" which suggests more the larger
things like beds, cupboards, sofas etc).

Colin

On 2013-09-16 10:09, Alex Rollin wrote:

> personally I think housewares is OK. In many cases this would (in my evaluation of English usage) go so far as to include:
>
> kitchen
> simple repair
> simple furniture
> basic linens
>
> I prefer the term "home" store, personally, but that is just because I like the word better. I feel that "home" is synonymous with housewares.
>
> --
> Alex
>
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Simone Saviolo <simone.saviolo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 2013/9/16 Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk>
>
> On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 05:47 +0200, Stefano Fraccaro wrote:
>> I have some shops that sell only household goods like dishes, pots,
>> coffee makers, blenders, oven thermometers, ...
>> IMHO "shop=supermarket" and "shop=general" are non appropriate. Which
>> is the correct tag?
>> I would have thought that would be shop=cookware. But only used 9 times
> on the planet.
>
> It's not only about cooking, there may be (here in Italy, at least) decorations, some furniture like tables and chairs, lamps, so it's more of a shop that sells houseware with a possible focus on kitchenware.
>
> I think I'd be equally good with household and houseware as a value - even though houseware seems to be more fitting, but this may be due to a misconception that I have because I'm not a native English speaker.
>
> Ciao,
>
> Simone

Links:
------