[Tagging] Proposal for new tag: landuse=plot

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Sep 18 10:22:38 UTC 2013

Lukas Hornby wrote:

> In particular defnition seems to be key and I can confirm my
> definition is from a British perspective.

Which is fine, because OSM uses British English names for things except
in rare cases.

> Community garden is different in definition, both here and in the US
> (and elsewhere) but a useful comparison, as the ethos and values are
> usually similar.

In addition to the UK I've seen allotments in other places in Europe,
but not in the US - does the concept even exist over there?

In order to see what other mappers have done, I'd be tempted to use
taginfo <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/>.  From
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/landuse=allotments#overview you
can use "Overpass Turbo" (the steering wheel to the right of the JOSM
link) to search for examples of that tag in a particular area. Once you
found them, you may see how they've been subdivided.

Another possibity would be to ask on the IRC channel #osm-gb - from
memory I think a couple of people there may have allotments, or possibly
on the talk-gb list, where you might get more people familiar with the idea.

Generally the OSM approach is "map all the things!" rather than "map
some of the things, making sure that everything is categorised
absolutely correctly".  That's not without its problems (as pointed out
in the "lack of concensus
<https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-September/014796.html>"
thread) but allowing people to add stuff local to them without
necessarily worrying about "correct" tagging has got OSM to where it is now.

It may well be that almost no-one has mapped allotment plots before**,
which may mean that you get to pick some scheme that works for you.
It'll almost certainly mean that there's no existing map that renders
the data that you're interested in, so you'll get the chance to create
that too.

Cheers,

Andy

** Actually, a quick search finds this wiki page
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Allotments_Project>, so I'd probably
start by asking some of the people mentioned there (mostly in the West
Mids of England, I think).