[Tagging] How to overcome lack of consensus

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Wed Sep 18 13:32:59 UTC 2013

Harry Wood is, I believe a Londoner. I am a Midlander, there are certainly cultural differences, regarding shellfish between the two regions.

Phil (trigpoint)
--

Sent from my Nokia N9

On 18/09/2013 14:15 Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

2013/9/18 Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk>

Actually I think this provides an insight into where problems are seen,
and damaging mass edits occur, when in reality there is no problem and
separate tags are in fact correct.

+1

In British English seafood generally refers to shellfish. So a seafood
shop will be a shop, usually at the seaside, where you buy prawns,
mussels, cockles and things that are ready to eat, with vinegar, as you
walk along the front. To tag this a fishmonger would be misleading.

What you write makes sense, but the problem is that who wrote the wiki for these shops didn't know about these distinctions, see here
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dseafood  a fishmonger is explicitly given as synonym (and btw. it was Harry Wood adding this synonym, AFAIK a British fellow)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dfishmonger  shellfish seems to be included in the definition and seafood is given as synonym. But this page was created just 4 days ago.

There was also a proposal (formally rejected because of missing votes): http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/seafood_shop

IMHO a place selling (only) prepared seafood ready to eat would be better called an amenity=fast_food with appropriate cuisine-tag.

Seems also to be a problem of American vs. British English.

Also your definitions for bookmaker and betting are appealing (me is neither an expert in this kind of business), and again the definition for betting like that for betting is 5 days old: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:shop%3Dbetting&action=history and http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:shop%3Dbookmaker&action=history and were written by the same person and contain the same text.

I really appreciate people trying to improve the wiki by writing definitions for tags in use, but it isn't helpful at all if these definitions are given by single mappers without any consultation on the tagging list about what is the intended meaning of these tags.

cheers,

Martin