[Tagging] How to overcome lack of consensus

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 14:02:47 UTC 2013

2013/9/18 Paul Churchley <paul at churchley.org>

> I think that the "seafood" example is a classic case of why this will
> always be an issue and why there can never be concensus. A "seafood shop"
> to me, a Brit all my life, not only sells shellfish but other kinds of
> seafood. The difference to me is that a "fishmonger" only sells raw fish
> whereas a seafood shop would sell raw fish and also sell seafood ready to
> eat such as the shellfish Phil describes. Who is right? Surely we both are?
> To me, theses kinds of subtle differences in meaning are often local and it
> is incorrect to consider one anymore correct than the other. Both tags
> should be available and people should tag them as they see fit. If someone
> looks at an item that is tagged as seafood and believes they are a
> fishmonger then why not tag it as both?

because then you would have to use a multiple value for the same key, which
isn't very helpful if you intend your mapped data to be used by many data
consumers. Actually it would be helpful to get good definitions in the wiki
that describe the necessary aspects of something in order to merit a
certain tag, but without exxagerating into specifics that would exclude
objects that should be included. Also examples aren't helpful in tag
definitions, but on the contrary facilitate misunderstandings. Currently we
don't have a good description neither of fishmongers nor of seafood, and
therefor everybody silently invents his own criteria.

The bookmaker/betting shop example is easily resolved because one is a
> person (bookmaker) the other is a location, usually a building. I see no
> confusion in that case. You would expect that a betting shop would have a
> bookmaker inside it!

no, from what I know here in Italy (and what Phil described above) a place
tagged shop=betting won't have a bookmaker inside, it would be a place
(usually a branch) where you could place bets (usually / mostly on the
outcome of sport events) for fixed rates. These rates will be transmitted
from a central instance and won't be negotiable in the place (because there
are no bookmakers present) and you will only be able to place bets on fix
stuff that they tell you, you won't be able to propose a bet on something
else.

cheers,
Martin