[Tagging] How to overcome lack of consensus

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 14:50:36 UTC 2013

When I think about making sense of tags, I always come back to the idea to
use our version of Wikidata, maybe OSMdata, which can be installed as an
extension of osm mediawiki.

In it we can connect meanings of various tags to wikipedia.org definitions,
and connect tags to other tags.

For example, we could say that OSMdata item with tag amenity=fastfood is a
subset of item with tag amenity=restaurant, which is a subset of item
"places where you can get food for money". That item doesn't have tags, but
can be useful to data miners who want to get places where you can buy food,
whatever they are. It can be a fishmonger, or a seafood place, or anything
that has a food=yes tag.

That way we can invent as much tags as we want, without losing data
comprehensibility for data users. A Chinese mapper could invent a tag that
cannot be described by western terms, but if he adds it to a category
"places where you can buy food", all renderers can render it with a fork
and spoon.

This solution can also be beneficial for big changes in tagging, like the
recent talk of changing power=tower to man_made=pole. If renderers were
connected to the category "poles that carry electricity wires", instead of
key-value pairs and we just added new tags to the category, no big changes
would be necessary.

We could also translate all those categories to different languages (which
wikidata supports) and that way a Chinese data consumer could write in his
language what data he wants.

The best thing is that the infrastructure is already here, we just have to
install it. So if it doesn't work out, not much time would be wasted.

Janko