[Tagging] Proposal for new tag: landuse=plot

Steve Doerr doerr.stephen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 16:47:56 UTC 2013

On 18/09/2013 12:04, Serge Wroclawski wrote:

> I still have yet to find a definition of "lot". Can someone point me
> to one that is unabigious, from Wikipedia or a dictionary? Wikipedia's
> definition of lot is the same as my own:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_lot (that is what comes up when you
> type land plot into wikipedia) And the term in usage:
> http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=3034 Despite searching the web, I can't
> find a definition to match your usage.
>> In addition to the UK I've seen allotments in other places in Europe, but
>> not in the US - does the concept even exist over there?
> We can't say until we know what the definition is, but my experience
> is that with a country that's as large and diverse as the US, it
> probably exists somewhere, whatever it is.

 From the Oxford English Dictionary...

'plot' = 'A fairly small piece of ground, esp. one used for a specified
purpose, such as building or gardening, etc.'. Also: 'orig. N. Amer. =
"burial plot" n. [...] Freq. in "family plot".'

'allotment' = 'A share, portion, or amount of something that has been
allotted to someone.' Hence:
'A share or portion of land assigned to a person, or appropriated for a
particular purpose; a plot.' And more specifically:
'orig. Brit. A small plot of land rented, typically from a local
authority, by an individual for growing vegetables or flowers or for
keeping small livestock, such as hens and rabbits.
'Allotments are usually associated with urban locations, although the
earliest examples relate to the letting of land to agricultural
labourers as a measure to relieve their poverty after land enclosure
(cf. allotment system n. at Compounds 2). Each allotment should not
exceed a quarter of an acre and produce must be solely for the
consumption of the allotment holder, as specified in the Allotments Act
of 1922. Allotments became especially popular in Great Britain during
the world wars of 1914–18 and 1939–45, as a means of alleviating food
shortages.'

Derived from the verb 'allot' ('To give or assign (something) to someone
authoritatively, without the recipient having any control; to distribute
(shares, duties, etc.) among a number of people; to apportion.'), which
in turn derives from:

'lot' = 'An object (app. usually a piece of wood) used in a widely
diffused ancient method of deciding disputes, dividing plunder or
property, selecting persons for an office or duty, etc., by an appeal to
chance or the divine agency supposed to be concerned in the results of
chance.' Hence:
'What falls to a person by lot. a. That which is assigned by lot to a
person as his share or portion in an inheritance, or in a distribution
of property; a division or share of property made by lot.' Hence:
'(Now chiefly U.S.) A plot or portion of land assigned by the state to a
particular owner. Hence, any piece of land divided off or set apart for
a particular purpose, e.g. for building or pasture.'
Also: 'One of the plots or portions in which a tract of land is divided
when offered for sale. Also, land round a film studio where outside
filming may be done.'

--
Steve