[Tagging] Proposal for new tag: landuse=plot

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Wed Sep 18 17:05:35 UTC 2013

On 09/18/2013 11:45 AM, Dan S wrote:
> 2013/9/18 John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>:
>> Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>> What is the essential difference between plot and lot in an OSM context?
>>> Dictionaries often seem to treat them as synonyms when applying to a "patch
>>> of land". But I'm a Brit... What's the US/AUS/CDN/NZ/etc view on this?
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>
>>> On 2013-09-18 16:35, John F. Eldredge wrote:
>>>
>>> On 09/18/2013 09:17 AM, fly wrote:
>>>
>>> Am 18.09.2013 11:26, schrieb Lukas Hornby:
>>>
>>> Hi, Thanks for all your comments so far, very constructive. I've updated
>>> the comments to hopefully answer all of your concerns.
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:landuse%3Dplot#Comments
>>> In particular defnition seems to be key and I can confirm my definition is
>>> from a British perspective. Community garden is different in definition,
>>> both here and in the US (and elsewhere) but a useful comparison, as the
>>> ethos and values are usually similar. I'm aware the title is too generic.
>>> being new to OSM i'm not sure whether hierarchical tags (in a taxonomy) are
>>> encoraged or adjectival tags?
>>>
>>> First thing to consider would be that your intension is to map alloments'
>>> plots. As already mentioned this does not fit under landuse. Second;
>>> Should/Could this tag be used besides alloments ? There is
>>> ammenity=parking_space but I think it is the only tag describing
>>> "parcels/lots". If you decide to only use it for alloments a simple
>>> alloment:lot=yes would work as areas within landuse=alloment. Lots of
>>> alloments I know have fences between the single lots so be prepared to find
>>> lots of multipolygons as you would need one for each lot to proper define
>>> the ref=*.
>>>
>>> Note that the word under discussion is "plot", not "lot".

>> Well, in American usage, a lot refers to a larger piece of land, such as you
>> might buy to build your house upon; a plot refers to a smaller piece, such
>> as a gardener might plant vegetables in.
>>
>> I know that allotment refers to a tract of land in which multiple people
>> rent smaller sections to grow vegetables or flowers for their own use. Since
>> a garden in British usage refers to all of the land surrounding one's
>> residence, what would Britons call the portion of one own's land in which
>> one grows vegetables, what Americans would refer to as a garden? It wouldn't
>> logically be an allotment, since you are doing it on your own property.,
> "vegetable patch" for a simple area, or if more designed/architected,
> "kitchen garden"

Would such an area of land, used for cultivating flowers, then be
classed as a flower garden?  American usage is to refer to vegetable
gardens, flower gardens, and (collectively) to gardens.  We sometimes
see the term "kitchen garden" used for growing vegetables, but
"vegetable garden" is more common.

I remember seeing, on trips to Europe in 1969 and 1974, many small
allotment gardens tucked into railroad yards in Germany and Switzerland,
probably for use by railroad employees.  Any section of land of more
than a few square meters, that wasn't covered by tracks, seemed to be
under cultivation.  I did wonder about how healthy it would be to eat
vegetables grown in land contaminated by oil, metallic dust, and
untreated human waste (the train toilets discharged directly onto the
tracks below).