[Tagging] Proposal for new tag: landuse=plot

Jonathan Bennett jonobennett at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 17:44:54 UTC 2013

On 18/09/2013 18:15, Lukas Hornby wrote:
> HI,
>
> Having studied all of the comments, we seem to agree that a tag is
> needed, that it is worth tagging. However the ambiguity over plot (which
> was the word I used in my proposal and lot (which has been read into
> plot) seems to be a sticking point.

...or alternatively: it's clear a tag for an individual plot is needed,
but after that point it got bikeshedded to death.

I will try stating what is needed as clearly as I can:

A plot is the individual parcel of land within and allotment site that
is let (rented, hired, or other synonym) to one tenant.

We already tag the whole site as landuse=allotments and we just need to
mark individual plots with allotment[s]=plot(*). This makes it clear
it's an allotment plot we're talking about, not anything else.

Each plot will probably have a "number" (not necessarily a number) of
some kind, and I'd suggest using ref=* for this.

This appears to be about as complicated as it needs to get.

I know this because not only do I *have* an allotment, I am the Warden
of our allotment site and am responsible for administering the tenancies
on that site, and that's all I need to map, barring a track or two.

J.

(*) Although natural spoken English would suggest tagging as
allotment=plot, I can see how using allotments=plot makes it clear it's
a sub-division of landuse=allotments, so I'd accept the plural form in
the tag. But that's getting into Bikeshedding again.