[Tagging] How to overcome lack of consensus

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 10:10:39 UTC 2013

2013/9/18 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> I think it is a bad idea to connect the meaning of osm tags to definitions
> in wikipedia, because the content of wikipedia articles is not something we
> control. When the wikipedia article changes (e.g. it gets extended or
> restrained by splitting it up) it doesn't imply that the objects with a
> certain tag in osm change nature.

 I agree that can sometimes be a problem, but wikipedia articles about
terms like school, power plant, lake can hardly be changed in meaning.

Anyway, connection to wikipedia articles is only a small, secondary part of
my proposal. Links between tags themselves is something we have to document
somewhere. We have to have a place where a data consumer sees that
amenity=fastfood is a specific kind of a amenity=restaurant.

Janko