[Tagging] How to overcome lack of consensus

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 13:44:45 UTC 2013

2013/9/19 Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com>

> I don't know, and nobody does because we don't have an ontology. If
> someone asks me, then yes, fastfood is a restaurant. If someone asks you,
> than a restaurant means "slow food".

Maybe some fast foods could qualify as restaurants while others don't?
Generally I'd tend to say no, but I'd also guess that there are some edge
cases.

IMHO the great invention of OSM is that it isn't based on an ontology but
on free tagging. The world is too complex (and dynamic) to be entirely
described by an ontology. It seems appealing to try though, I admit, but it
will always result in flattening complexity (and therefor detail and small
but fine distinctions).

cheers,
Martin