[Tagging] waterfall

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 15:00:31 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-24 20:07, bredy wrote :
> Why there'are two method for tagging waterfall?
> I see waterway=waterfall and natural=waterfall.
>
> The first had a page osm very poor and the second is proposed feature, but
> abbandoned.
>
> Can we take a solution?
We have already discussed those inconsistencies with
highway=crossing  which is certainly not a highway but rather a footway,
and which prevents the crossing to be tagged on a way called highway=*
(not a node) to indicate it's painted longitudinally on it, =>
crossing=yes or something to be discussed like =pedestrian or =railway
historical=castle which certainly does not apply to a château =>
castle=* + possibly historical=yes/no/YYYY  maybe castle=château
natural=water + water=tank which is simply contradictory => water=tank
alone seems OK to me
etc etc etc
The keys should be defined as either object or attributes. There may be
discussions as to which is which but we should agree and  stop the OSM
reputation that tagging is made according to everybody's mood.
So, in this case, I see no reason why it should not be waterfall=* which
is evident while the *= you present are obviously not.

Cheers,

André.