[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (automated_external_defibrillator)

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Mon Sep 30 18:03:58 UTC 2013

On 09/30/2013 11:59 AM, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> On 30 September 2013 18:22, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com
> <mailto:lowflight66 at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Major problem I find is that using a abbreviation is not the way
>     we tag
>     in OSM and it is often misleading.
>

> We do use abbreviations for keys/values: for example mtb, bmx, hgv,
> psv, url, rcn.
>
> In this particular case, I think more people have familiarity with the
> abbreviation than with the full term, so I see here nothing wrong with
> sticking to the abbreviation. Or are you proposing to start using
> uniform_resource_locator as well?
>
> -- Matthijs

I think that it would be better to use the spelled-out term
automated_external_defibrillator rather than the acronym AED, to avoid
potential confusion.  The OpenStreetMap database is intended for
international use, and the spelled-out term is less ambiguous. It would
be possible for the wiki to link the AED acronym to the page listing the
spelled-out term, and the wiki could explain why the spelled-out term is
preferable for tagging.