[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (automated_external_defibrillator)

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Mon Sep 30 18:22:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-30 at 18:59 +0200, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> On 30 September 2013 18:22, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>         Major problem I find is that using a abbreviation is not the
>         way we tag
>         in OSM and it is often misleading.
>

> We do use abbreviations for keys/values: for example mtb, bmx, hgv,
> psv, url, rcn.

Those are mostly familiar terms, where the abbreviation is better known
than the actual words. BMX and URL in particular. I do not know MTB or
RCN are however.

> In this particular case, I think more people have familiarity with the
> abbreviation than with the full term, so I see here nothing wrong with
> sticking to the abbreviation. Or are you proposing to start using
> uniform_resource_locator as well?

Outside of the medical profession I doubt anyone has  heard the term
AED. I certainly hadn't until I saw it in this thread. There may be some
familiarity with them within factories, we have some at work. Then again
I work for a large company with a strong health and safety culture, and
a large number of employees to split the cost over.

Outside of factories and the like, they are still very rare. I know of
one, in Loppington, a small North Shropshire village, but thats because
I am an observant mapper. It has a numerical keylock on it, so imagine
that maybe you phone 999 and ask for the code?

I have never seen one anywhere else, and yes I have looked and keep my
eyes open. Most people will not be aware such things even exist.

Phil (trigpoint)