[Tagging] Wilderness huts

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 01:01:01 UTC 2014

So, an alpine_hut is, at least in Europe, an operated place sort of like a
guest_house? I don't think we have anything comparable in the U.S.
Wikipedia shows several huts of the type I mean here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilderness_hut .Their definition says these
are free — that is not the case in Alaska but is mostly true elsewhere in
the U.S. AFAIK

Fly mentioned shelter_type just now — another type of wilderness
accommodation is a basic shelter called a lean-to, a rough three sided,
roofed shelter, open to the elements on one side. There is generally a fire
pit in front although these days the custom of having open fires in
designated wilderness areas is greatly discouraged, even illegal, in many
of them.

I think a link to shelter:type would be a good addition to the Map
Features; Tourism page for further choices when tagging wilderness
shelters. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:shelter_type. Note that
this page throws more confusion into the discussion because on it they
define a basic_hut that is, by my definition at least, the same thing we're
talking about here. What a mess!

@Jonathan - thanks for the link to bothy. Some of those would fit my
definition of wilderness_hut although not the one in Windsor Castle LOL.
Also, I'm curious, there is certainly no wilderness in the U.K comparable
in size or remoteness to those we have in Alaska but is there any area
known as wilderness there?

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 12:04 AM, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 31.03.2014 18:49, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> > <mailto:daveswarthout at gmail.com>>:
> >
> >     @fly
> >
> >     "What is the difference between a mountain, alpine, or wilderness
> >     hut" is exactly what I'm trying to determine.
> >
> >     Mountain_hut is not used much —  only 7 instances — so I think it
> >     can safely be considered to be the same as an alpine_hut which, by
> >     definition, is located in mountainous regions.
> >
> >     Wilderness huts are something I'm familiar with so I'm seeking to
> >     clarify what it is about them that would invite the use of that tag.
> >

> > I think the difference is that a mountainhut or alpine hut will have
> > someone who sells you something to eat (i.e. some kind of "restaurant"),
> > while a wilderness hut will usually not have staff. See here:
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dalpine_hut
>
> You are right. alpine_hut is an operated place. In the alps most of them
> are operated by the nation alpine clubs.
>
> But you will find wilderness_huts in the alps, aswell.
>
> I see a slight overlap with shelter_type=basic_hut but with proper
> description to distinguish and links this will work.
>
> cu fly

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand