[Tagging] Wilderness huts

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 1 02:20:08 UTC 2014

On 01.04.2014 03:01, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> So, an alpine_hut is, at least in Europe, an operated place sort of like
> a guest_house? I don't think we have anything comparable in the U.S.

How about this one:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/419229498 ?

> Wikipedia shows several huts of the type I mean here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilderness_hut .Their definition says these
> are free — that is not the case in Alaska but is mostly true elsewhere
> in the U.S. AFAIK

We have access=* and fee=* to state this information.

> Fly mentioned shelter_type just now — another type of wilderness
> accommodation is a basic shelter called a lean-to, a rough three sided,
> roofed shelter, open to the elements on one side. There is generally a
> fire pit in front although these days the custom of having open fires in
> designated wilderness areas is greatly discouraged, even illegal, in
> many of them.

In Europe, even at official fire pits, it always depends on the weather
conditions if it might be illegal to have an open fire outdoors.

> I think a link to shelter:type would be a good addition to the Map
> Features; Tourism page for further choices when tagging wilderness
> shelters. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:shelter_type. Note that
> this page throws more confusion into the discussion because on it they
> define a basic_hut that is, by my definition at least, the same thing
> we're talking about here. What a mess!

Well it is never to late for a clean up once we find the proper
definitions, descriptions and names.

Thought shelter_type=basic_hut offers less infrastructure and is tinier
than wilderness_hut but we could also merge them. You even find some
wilderness_huts under shelter_type=* already [1].

The value was added without a proposal and was not part of the original
proposal. All together, I would drop it in favour of wilderness hut to
have only open and always accessible buildings under shelter.

> @Jonathan - thanks for the link to bothy. Some of those would fit my
> definition of wilderness_hut although not the one in Windsor Castle LOL.
> Also, I'm curious, there is certainly no wilderness in the U.K
> comparable in size or remoteness to those we have in Alaska but is there
> any area known as wilderness there?

Even though I have been only as tourist in GB, I know there are some
lonely and rough spots there where you will be happy to find a nice
shelter if weather changes rapidly or after some kind of problem outdoors.

My 2ct
fly

[1] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/?key=shelter_type#values