[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Wikidata

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 04:10:09 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-01 23:17, Tobias Knerr wrote :
> On 01.04.2014 19:04, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>> I commend this proposal to the list:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Wikidata
> I like Wikidata and therefore want to see this proposal approved. :)
> What I'm interested in, though: If an object exists both in Wikipedia
> and Wikidata, would you expect both tags to be used? Wikipedia links
> can be obtained from the Wikidata API for a given Wikidata ID and vice
> versa, so one of the two would suffice.

It has already been said that the word "instead" is not appropriate here
right now.
On the long range, the practical success of two methods will decide by
itself.
Practically, if I click "item with ID Q1722
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q1722>", the first impression is
> A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding.
> You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script
> will complete.
then quite a dump of seemingly computer savvy data (OK with me but
frightening many).
I suppose that it should be formatted differently, but I'd like to see
how to have an opinion.
On the other hand, Wikipedia is fast and pretty and, as indeed I often
want to switch to Дубровник for more interesting data and a challenge to
understand I click ru in the left pane.
It took me some time to get to Wikipedia from Wikidata and I was
surprised to see there reference to Wikidata only in tools.
The last URL I used for OSM is  http://www.palogne.be  and I would like
to know how I can find the corresponding Wikidata ID to go alongside.

Cheers,

André.