[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Wikidata

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Apr 2 09:40:30 UTC 2014

On 2 April 2014 05:10, André Pirard <A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com> wrote:

> Practically, if I click "item with ID Q1722", the first impression is
>
> A script on this page may be busy, [...]

Likely a transient issue, with causes which may be at either end of
the connection.

> then quite a dump of seemingly computer savvy data (OK with me but frightening many).

Work is already in hand to improve the visual display; but the main
benefits will accrue through machine interactions.

> I suppose that it should be formatted differently, but I'd like to see how to have an opinion.

Try the same "Q" value in Reasonator:

   http://tools.wmflabs.org/reasonator/?q=Q1722

> On the other hand, Wikipedia is fast and pretty and, as indeed I often want to switch to Дубровник for more interesting data and a challenge to understand I click ru in the left pane.

While Wikipedia has some machine readable data, it has nowhere near
the machine-readability that Wikidata has.

For one example of the utility of Wikidata, see the examples at:

   http://googleknowledge.github.io/qlabel/

> The last URL I used for OSM is  http://www.palogne.be  and I would like to know how I can find the corresponding Wikidata ID to go alongside.

Look for a Wikipedia article  - in any language. If there is none, it
may be that the Wikidata entry has not yet been created, If so, write
one, and then create it!

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing