[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Wikidata

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 10:24:29 UTC 2014

I've been experimenting with wikidata tagging in OSM a bit lately. One
doubt I have is when tagging tombstones with subject:wikidata. Is that
correct? Normally that one is used when an artistic image is made of
someone. What if it's a family grave with more than one 'subject'?
What if it's only the tombstone that was possibly moved in the mean time?
So not the actual burial place anymore?

I do think it's important to be specific and quite a few of our OSM objects
have several references to Wikidata.

What I found though, is that it seems like it's necessary to create an
article on at least one WP, to make it possible to have a notable Wikidata
entry. This is not as easy as it seems with all the rules concerning living
people and notability of the Wikipedias. So maybe notability on Wikidata
should be expanded to all objects that we might want to map on OSM. i.e. if
it's physical, it can have a qualifier in Wikidata. It is further
complicated by the lack of freedom of panorama in Belgium and France,
otherwise it would be enough to add pictures of the objects to Commons and
create a category for them. (statues and buildings which don't get their
own WP pages for example)

Polyglot