[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Wikidata

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Apr 2 10:36:04 UTC 2014

On 2 April 2014 11:24, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been experimenting with wikidata tagging in OSM a bit lately. One doubt
> I have is when tagging tombstones with subject:wikidata. Is that correct?

I don't see why not; but we could use burial:wikdata=

What do you sue for the non-wikidata tag?

> Normally that one is used when an artistic image is made of someone. What if
> it's a family grave with more than one 'subject'?

Separate values with ";"

> What if it's only the tombstone that was possibly moved in the mean time? So
> not the actual burial place anymore?

Then the named deceased is/are definitely the "subject" of the stone.

> What I found though, is that it seems like it's necessary to create an
> article on at least one WP, to make it possible to have a notable Wikidata
> entry. This is not as easy as it seems with all the rules concerning living
> people and notability of the Wikipedias. So maybe notability on Wikidata
> should be expanded to all objects that we might want to map on OSM. i.e. if
> it's physical, it can have a qualifier in Wikidata.

The notability requirements were relaxed recently; see

    https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Notability

and though they won't allow for every entity mapped (we don't want an
entry in Wikidata for each house, tree or patch of grass, for
example), that should support entries for many more objects.

The key issue is to make the link wherever a wikdiata entry already
esxists for an entity in OSM, so that the richness of data available
there is linked, and thus exposed to the re-users of OSM data.

We should be able to use bots/scripts/tools to do much of this, BTW.
See <User:Pigsonthewing/Wikipedia>.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing