[Tagging] Ticket for JOSM to read contact metadata closed

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 20:05:39 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-02 19:37, Tobias Knerr wrote :
> On 02.04.2014 19:25, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>> (...) I don't understand the reason given:
>>
>>    This format seems not to be used much.
>>    Too much work for too little gain.
>>
>> not least since I specifically referred to "an hCard microformat or
>> some other contact metadata".
>>
>> Was I unclear in my proposal?
> I don't think you were unclear. The response probably refers to the fact
> that, unfortunately, very few business websites offer contact data in a
> machine-readable format.
>
> Therefore such a feature could only be used very rarely, making it hard
> to justify the implementation effort.
>
> However, all hope is not lost: This functionality would be ideal for a
> JOSM plugin. And it's not unheard of that popular plugins later make it
> into JOSM itself.
Or, if a JOSM plugin is not your cup of tea, a small script, e.g. perl
or python, that would wget the Web page, extract the data (regexp
recommended), and write a simple *.OSM XML file containing the tags.
That file can be imported in a layer and copied to your element with
that brand new tag copy&paste.

BTW, I was more lucky with bug #9864
<https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/9864> that tacked my long dated,
wontfixed request onto another complaint: now, friends, you can
edit/delete/add tags by right-clicking them in
Windows>Tags/Memberships.  Right click the window header, use Side
buttons>Always hidden and enjoy.

Cheers,

André.