[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Wikidata

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 21:34:39 UTC 2014

> There is also the case of sets;  for example, four carvings which form
> a single artwork, but which are mapped as separate entities.

You could put the four carvings into a relation, and put the wikidata tag
there (along with the name=* and tourism=artwork). Or you could create four
wikidata items, and give them the attribute "part of" and connect with the
first item. Then reference those four items in OSM.

> One might also reasonably expect to find multiple instances of things
> like material:wikidata=Q23757 (that's limestone).

I wasn't talking about xxx:wikidata=* tags. There can be lots of those. All
sculptures by one artist should have the same artist:wikidata=* tag. All
streets named after Nikola Tesla should have name:etymology:wikidata=Q9036.
But there should be only one element with wikidata=Q384, or any other
number.

P.S. I'm not sure we should reference materials from Wikidata. That's going
a bit too far. Tagging material=limestone should be enough. If we want to
go that far with connecting OSM tags with Wikidata, there are better ways. I
have thought about this, and with common tags like material=* we could make
our own Wikibase installation, and connect tag combinations from OSM with
Wikidata items.

Janko