[Tagging] Utility tag values replacement

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Wed Apr 16 17:53:50 UTC 2014

Hi.

The contributor who widely use utility=* to map street cabinet, Xoff, in
Birmingham area told me he agree utility=* replacement by a more consistent
tagging scheme.

As I said in first mail of this thread, here are some ideas for the
replacement.
Don't do mass edit but look carefully to each object.
utility=pole => power=pole (or power=tower) - Only if the pole carries
power lines.
utility=power_sub_station => power=substation
utility=electric => power=* - We have to choose the value which best match
the need.
utility=electricity => power=* - Idem
utility=power => power=* - Idem
utility=power_station => power=substation or power=plant - Depends of what
is it actually, a plant or a substation ?

Have a look to power map features
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_features#Power

Cheers.

*François Lacombe*