[Tagging] Feature proposal - Street Cabinets - RFC

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sat Apr 26 22:47:27 UTC 2014

Thank you for your comments.

The proposal introduce technical stuff; but not at a high level of details
actually.
Making the distinguish between active and passive, MDF or not cabinets in
telecom networks is going a bit too far for this proposal.

In a first time, we should map objects as we see them in the street, giving
a global domain of operation (cable_tv, telecom, water, power...).
And after, it will be possible to make other proposal, more domain focused,
to describe networks.

That's why all telecom network cabinet should be grouped under
street_cabinet=telecom for now.

Nevertheless, we can work right now on references and codification as for
identifying features more sustainably than using the OSM id.
All local OSM groups should give details about ref:* tags to map numbers
seen on cabinets in the street. Do MDF or passive ones have such id in
Germany ?

As we are talking about telecoms, I'm not so friendly with the MDF term,
used in Germany for instance.
All MDF buildings mapped as such in OSM are central offices (sounds to be
the right English term) and host MDFs but a lot of other stuff (switches,
DSLAM, power devices...)

It's the same for "passive MDF cabinets" in the street : you can find
multiplexers (ok it's active equipment, but can be remotely powered) which
is not part of the MDF.
First of all it's a telecom cabinet, and more specific tags can eventually
give details of inside devices and equipment. But it's out of the scope of
the current proposal.

*François Lacombe*

http://www.infos-reseaux.com