[Tagging] Feature proposal - Street Cabinets - RFC

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Mon Apr 28 13:08:34 UTC 2014

Hi.

>  Yes - The German Telekom has refs for all their Cabinets although
> they are not necessarily on the cabinet itself. Its build from the
> ONKZ ASB and a Number whereas the ONKZ (Ortznetzkennzahl) is the
> Area Code, the ASB (Anschlussbereich) is basically the ref number of
> the CO/MDF within that Areacode.
>
> I for example am attached to the Cabinet 5242-4-A27.
>
> On the cabinet itself there is a small 4A27 buts that not necessary
> the case for all cabinets.
>
> With that number you can build the hierarchy of the network because
> the cabinet 5242-4-A27 is connected to the MDF/CO 5242-4.

It would be really great to summarise this really usefull knowledge in a
ref:* tag, dedicated to Germany.
Let's take advantage of the unity of this model and operator agnosticism
(it seems).

> There are roughly 300000 DTAG street cabinets in germany. Then there are
> Unity Media, Kabel Deutschland, KabelBW and other Telecoms who have set
> up street cabinets. Without deep knowledge you wont be able
> to differentiate them. They bought the cabinets from the same 3-5 Vendors.

In general it is very useful to distinguish operator, but as I understand
you, all German operators use the same cabinets and the same codes on them ?

If mappers doesn't have the information, they don't use operator=* :)

In France it would be the same for medium-voltage power : all operators are
using the same devices and equipment.
But they are operating areas as large as cities or group of cities. By
knowing the area, you're knowing the operator. May it be the same with
telephone in Germany ?

>  The German term would be HVT ( Hauptverteiler ) and the street cabinet
> the
> KVZ ( Kabelverzweiger ). The larger ones containing DSLAMs are called
> MFG ( Multifunktionsgehäuse ).
>
> As my understanding of english/american terminology comes the CO describes
> the building which then contains the MDF and possibly a Voice Switch.

That's it, thus the building shouldn't be tagged man_made=MDF but
man_made=CO, don't you agree ?

> > It's the same for "passive MDF cabinets" in the street : you can find
> > multiplexers (ok it's active equipment, but can be remotely powered)
> which
> > is not part of the MDF.
>
> It cant be a MDF - its not the MAIN distribution frame.

Or even DF. My point was that a cabinet not only contains DF but other
equipments and they must be considered when tagging such a cabinet.

Any other objections regarding the proposal ?

*François Lacombe*

http://www.infos-reseaux.com