[Tagging] Forest vs Wood

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Thu Aug 21 19:02:04 UTC 2014

Hi

I think there are a few reasons, but let's start with the basics:

For two things so similar it's confusing to have two separate key
values: natural & landuse. IMO both should use natural (which trees are
of course).

Any description of their management/harvesting should be put into sub
tags. However I will go as far as to say there a very few areas of trees
in the world that have been manipulated by humans in some form or manner.

If there is any differences between wood & forest I would say it's in
their size and/or density, but I've no idea where you'd put the dividing
line.

David F.

On 20/08/2014 18:45, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to raise this issue again but it really does need resolving:
>
> * for ensuring good data; and
> * to prevent forest and wood being rendered as the same thing [1]
>
> Currently the descriptions in the green box on the right of the wiki
> page (and thus those that get picked up by taginfo and other software)
> are:
>
> Wood: Woodland with no forestry
> Forest: Managed woodland or woodland plantation.
>
> In my eyes this is pretty clear. What am I missing / why does there
> seem to be so much confusion?
>
> Regards,
> Rob
>
> [1]