[Tagging] Map Features template

Andreas Goss andig88 at t-online.de
Thu Aug 28 10:14:16 UTC 2014

> And as far as I can see, the wiki translation is
> _mainly_ done for the sake of people that can't read english, so an
> entry in english doesn't really help.#

People who speak english can translate it when they see something new
was added to a table. The German Versions often even have a nice line at
the bottom with a link to the translation page.

> Soon the wiki will enable a rich text editor plugin to make the wiki
> easier to use (and consequently invite more participation), so I want to
> ask people to avoid using this kind of template, because they make some
> pages harder to edit, without considerable advantages.

I don't think this is something that everybody needs to be able to edit.
Those tables are usually resereved for the most common tags, so it's
enough when now and then someone compares it with taginfo and updates
it. Right now the much bigger issue is that we lack tag pages and have a
lot of undefined tags and different tags that stand for the same thing.
That's what we need a lot of people working on. Updating those tables
afterwards according to taginfo and accepted proposals is not that much
work.

I think it's a huge advantage that I just have to add an item to 1 table
and it will be updated in 25 other tables (Well, that is if languages
would use it correctly xd). Then over time native speakers can add the
translation.

> I think it has a good purpose in pages like the main "Map Features"
> page[...]
> I just want people to avoid this kind of "Map Features Template" on
> normal pages.

The advantage is that you make sure that the information is at least to
some extent updated on all pages. Especially it makes sure that the
content on the Map Features and main Key: Wiki page is the same, also in
all languages (decriptions are obviously still an issue, but at least if
you find a mistake the right version is then updated everywhere).

In Germany we have a very extensive DE:How_to_map_a page and it's a huge
pain to keep that page updated. I always end up going to individual Wiki
pages then check "What links here" and then after fixing the German one
often see that the Frech, Dutch and Polish copied that part. Great now
what do I do about that?