[Tagging] Religious landuse

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Thu Aug 28 11:50:13 UTC 2014

Andreas Goss wrote, on 2014-08-28 12:46:
> I removed it on several Wiki pages, including the Map Features template.

> I still have the impression that it's something a very few mappers use.
 > The usage numbers might look big, but if you take a closer look especially at Poland it's done by 1 mapper.

If that impression is based on the google query you had posted on 31/07/2014,
this is no wonder. Your query contained the username. Like querying for
red cars and getting that 100% cars are red.

I see heavy use in Ireland, UK, and Japan, and there was a fellow from Japan
in this discussion much in favour:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=landuse&value=religious#map

> And I don't get the impression that he is very interested in a discussion:
>
> https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.openstreetmap.org%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fpid%3D441416&edit-text=&act=url

Maybe he speaks only Polish?

> Especially the sacred_ground thing confuses me, maybe it's also just the translation.

I see him mention the term, but not as a proposal for a landuse tag, and it is not used:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=landuse&value=sacred_ground
Zero

> This also leads me to the biggest issue, the Wiki pages pretty much contains NO REAL DEFINITION,
 > all it really says is "landuse=religious - The area used for religious purposes."
 > What follows are just examples what you can combine it with.

It's a wiki, made by people. We are discussing it here, which can lead to a refined
definition. Other often used tags have poor definitions as well.

> It's not even clear if it has to be around a amenity=place_of_worship
 > (description on the right) or that just often happens to be the case (introduction text).

I had identified 4 use cases in a mail yesterday.