[Tagging] How one should tag different sections of library?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:12:52 UTC 2014

> There is a large library with multiple sections (for children, for adults,
> foreign language
> books, reading room, movie/music borrowing, newspaper section etc etc).
>
> There are separate accounts for separate sections, different opening
> hours. But it is
> managed by one institution, everything is in the same building, end it is
> generally considered as one entity.

is there one name or different names? IMHO separate accounts and different
opening_hours already indicate some kind of separation (same operator
doesn't mean it is the same "object"). On the other hand you state that you
consider it to be "one entity", so more than one "amenity=library" would be
wrong under that assumption.

> How one should tag it?
>
> (1) amenity=library for both general entity and section (impossible for
> data consumers to
> understand that some are subsections)
> (2) use (1) and use some sort of relation to indicate hierarchy (de facto
> impossible to use
> for data consumers)
> (3) maybe introduce a new tag, something like amenity=library_section or
> something
> similar? Maybe library=section, without amenity=library and use
> amenity=libvrary to
> mark entire entity?

I think I'd prefer (3) as both, (1) and (2), are representing 2 libraries
(for what there are some indices in your description, but what you deny
explicitly but saying it is "one entity").

> Note: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dlibrary has
> "A building can host multiple libraries. Please document the best way to
> handle this (with
> example) if you know a good solution. "

I believe multiple libraries aren't any problem, you simply won't be able
to use bad short cuts aka use the same object for a building and a library
function (which is a flawed approach anyway when it comes to details).

cheers,
Martin