[Tagging] Combining gas stations & convenience stores

Hans De Kryger hans.dekryger13 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 05:19:24 UTC 2014

Hopefully this gets enough attention on the tagging list. Thought about
posting this to talk U.S but changed my mind.

Anyways to my problem. One of my passions to map in osm is gas stations.
I've done hundreds since I've joined and now have fully come to realize a
persistent problem that occurs frequently. The duplicate address tagging of
a gas station and convenience store run by the same company. For example,
say i just added a circle k gas station down the street from me to osm. But
the gas station also has a convenience store. Well i have to copy over all
the address info from one poi to the other since leaving the address Field
blank makes no sense if someone would like to get there using a navigation
app. I have thought about it a lot. And i go back and forth thinking both
places should be tagged. Still a part of me thinks it makes no sense to
have a address for a gas station tagged twice. One reason we cant
completely combine the gas station and convenience store tag is some gas
stations have the convenience store run by separate companies. As is the
case with a circle k down the street from me. The convenience store is a
circle k but the gas station is a shell. It would be nice to have a
separate tag that combined the gas and convenience store shop together. I
just want to make clear i don't want to get rid of the existing tags i just
want to add one.

*Regards,*

*Hans*