[Tagging] New tag value in access? authorised [fork from: access in the wiki]

althio forum althio.forum at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 08:57:16 UTC 2014

/ DISCLAIMER /
Starting new thread for side topics from: [Tagging] access in the wiki

I would happily read more feedback from Martin and other contributors
on "authorised" because it would certainly help with some limited
traffic zone, bus lanes, residential streets...

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> no, its the same

Quite a short answer and I am not convinced yet.

>> private: Only with permission of the owner on an individual basis.
-> Apply on a private road for residents, privately invited people,
very local delivery...;
it has some overlap with *="destination" and *="delivery".
>> authorised: Only with authorisation (from public authority) by regulations (=collective basis) and special exemptions.
-> Apply on a public road for special permits, emergency vehicles...;
it does often include emergency vehicles at least but it is not limited to them.
Anyway in most cases people wondering "do I have access?" simply do
not have access. If you have access you know it.

Did you look at some of the examples in the links [7,8,9,10]? I feel
"private" is not suitable there.
How are tagged today the real-world "authorised vehicles" exemptions
or signs with "authorised vehicles only"?
I don't think a bus lane with special exemptions for "authorised
vehicles" should be tagged motor_vehicle=private. Nor that "private"
can be used on any street or public road with no private 'owner'.

As I understand you consider that the 'public owner' (city or country
or whichever administrative level) can be viewed as the 'private owner
giving permission on an individual basis'. IMO that is quite a twisted
and misleading use of the words private/public.
So... did I miss something?

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> this won't work (we should have vehicle specific tags, not general ones),
> and "authorized" as a value seems the same than "private".

In the existing "access" scheme: tag-values can be applied to access=*
or to a specific transport mode tag-keys.
* [access=private] is valid
* [motorcar=private] is also valid
See also Tag:access=designated
> NOTE! The exact key/value combination access=designated should never appear on an object. This page is here to describe the meaning of the 'designated' access tag,

If I propose access=authorised I want to imply possibility of tagging
for [any_specific_mode]=authorised.
[access=authorised] or [motor_vehicle=authorised] could work.

[7] http://c8.alamy.com/comp/ABFKH9/red-white-bicycles-sign-blue-sticker-art-graffiti-excepte-vehicles-ABFKH9.jpg
[8] http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/e8/2d/45/e82d45efd50dad3fe23a9540fc52d09a.jpg
[9] https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/.imaging/stk/SCC-Home/standard-small/dms/scc/management/corporate-communications/images/roads-transport/roads-signs/signs/Bus-lane-cameras/document/Bus-lane-cameras-sign.jpg
[10] https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/Panneau_interdiction_sauf_v%C3%A9hicules_autoris%C3%A9s.JPG/337px-Panneau_interdiction_sauf_v%C3%A9hicules_autoris%C3%A9s.JPG