[Tagging] Combining gas stations & convenience stores

Markus Lindholm markus.lindholm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 09:50:26 UTC 2014

On 5 December 2014 at 06:19, Hans De Kryger <hans.dekryger13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> One reason we cant completely
> combine the gas station and convenience store tag is some gas stations have
> the convenience store run by separate companies. As is the case with a
> circle k down the street from me. The convenience store is a circle k but
> the gas station is a shell. It would be nice to have a separate tag that
> combined the gas and convenience store shop together. I just want to make
> clear i don't want to get rid of the existing tags i just want to add one.

Hi Hans

In OSM we have this principle of one feature - one element
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/One_feature,_one_OSM_element

In my world a gas station and a convenience store are two distinct
features, so they should indeed exist as two elements also in the osm
database. Also an address should be considered a feature in its own
right so it should also be a distinct element.

Regards
Markus