[Tagging] Combining gas stations & convenience stores

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 09:57:34 UTC 2014

> In OSM we have this principle of one feature - one element
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/One_feature,_one_OSM_element

this is not a clear rule, e.g. I wouldn't consider it wrong to have an area
tagged as amenity=bank, atm=yes and have another object amenity=atm for the
(same) atm. The atm=yes is an attribute that says: this bank also has an
atm (it's a property of the bank). And the amenity=atm says: this is the
atm.

> In my world a gas station and a convenience store are two distinct
> features, so they should indeed exist as two elements also in the osm
> database.

not clear. In my world the convenience store is part of the gas station. ;-)

> Also an address should be considered a feature in its own
> right so it should also be a distinct element.

an address can be seen as a feature on its own, but it can also be an
attribute of another feature.

cheers,
Martin