[Tagging] man_made=adit_entrance

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 8 12:50:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 10:29:21PM +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > And tags for other mine entrance types?
> >
> > Would it not be better to have
> >
> > man_made=mine_entrance
> > type=adit etc
> >

> I'm a native speaker of English and I only came across the word "adit"
> relatively recently. To me it seems obscure and technical - but I
> understand that in other parts of the world it's common.

It's in common use in Cornwall and I guess other areas of the UK with
a mining history.

Despite the philological origin of the word, it normally refers to
the complete tunnel rather than just the "entrance" (in modern usage).
Maybe the Roman use of entrance was more emcompassing.

I agree that the average mapper might not know the term, but then such a
person is unlikely to map an adit, or even recognise one.

> Would man_made=mine_entrance be offensive to people who do use the word
> 'adit'?

That doesn't seem quite right as above. mine_access_passage is the best
I can do OTTOMH, but omits the implication that it is roughly
horizontal. Or since I guess it will almost always be a node, then
mine_access_passage_entrance??  Of course, that suggests adit_entrance
as well.

ael