[Tagging] man_made=adit_entrance

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Mon Dec 8 23:54:16 UTC 2014

On 12/08/2014 06:50 AM, ael wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 10:29:21PM +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> And tags for other mine entrance types?
>>>
>>> Would it not be better to have
>>>
>>> man_made=mine_entrance
>>> type=adit etc
>>>

>> I'm a native speaker of English and I only came across the word "adit"
>> relatively recently. To me it seems obscure and technical - but I
>> understand that in other parts of the world it's common.
>
> It's in common use in Cornwall and I guess other areas of the UK with
> a mining history.
>
> Despite the philological origin of the word, it normally refers to
> the complete tunnel rather than just the "entrance" (in modern usage).
> Maybe the Roman use of entrance was more emcompassing.
>
> I agree that the average mapper might not know the term, but then such a
> person is unlikely to map an adit, or even recognise one.
>

>> Would man_made=mine_entrance be offensive to people who do use the word
>> 'adit'?
>
> That doesn't seem quite right as above. mine_access_passage is the best
> I can do OTTOMH, but omits the implication that it is roughly
> horizontal. Or since I guess it will almost always be a node, then
> mine_access_passage_entrance??  Of course, that suggests adit_entrance
> as well.
>
> ael

Whenever I have encountered the term, it referred to passages that were
horizontal, or at least close enough to horizontal that one could walk
along them, as opposed to shafts which meant vertical passages.  It
certainly referred to more than just the entrance to the mine.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.