[Tagging] Moveable objects tagged as building=*

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 05:47:42 UTC 2014

On 12/12/2014 3:44 PM, tagging-request at openstreetmap.org wrote:
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 19:05:03 -0800
> From: Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Moveable objects tagged as building=*
>
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM, 715371 <osmu715371 at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if the building-tag should be used for moveable objects.
>> I guess that this is not in the sense of the meaning of building (see
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building#Residential and check for
>> houseboats).
>>
>> For example according to taginfo houseboats are mapped as
>> building=houseboat 11496 times. So this is not a new or minor tag.
>>

>> People often confuse houseboats with floating homes. It could be that these
>> structures are incorrectly tagged. I would not recommend any mass edit to
>> change them to man_man.
>>
>> Clifford

When is a 'houseboat' a floating home? Here houseboats are self
propelled, floating homes are not .. don't know about elsewhere. That
would be a fairly simple distinction.

The military in some places put numbers on their buildings.. one ship
was given a building number due to the fact that it spent a lot of time
in port.. the Admiral was not amused .. the ship spent a little more
time at sea from then on.  So how much time does an object need to stay
in one spot before it is considered fixed? I'd not map things that move
frequently .. cars, trucks, boats, ships, trains ...
Some caravan parks have 'mobile homes' that don't move .. well not for
many years.. I'd map them.

Perhaps anything tagged building=houseboat could be made into
building=floating_home ?