[Tagging] Watermill attributes

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 15:23:22 UTC 2014

Compliments for the map. In fact I knew it already.

That is the type of map that would profit from additional tagging for
watermills, like number of wheels.

A comment on the map: it seems that it only shows city walls if they carry
somehow the label "historic", whereas in fact most city walls in my area
are tagged without "historic" (as per wiki page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dcity_wall).
The problem with the "historic" tag is that it is also used with the
meaning of "this object was present in the past" or "this object was used
in the past in that function" but not necessarily in the present. See for
example:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Comparison_of_life_cycle_concepts for
the item "historic:"
The problem is that the definition of the terms is not clear. There are
plenty of real Roman bridges around that are still being used today (we
have two or three here in Padova). They would have to be tagged historic
and still-in-use.
The other way round there re plenty of "historic" items in OSM that are not
historic in the sense of old, like many modern wayside crosses and shrines.
To be clear, the problem is the mapping not the rendering.
Coming back to city walls. Our walls in Padova are massive, were built mid
1500 and are still there. They are at present not tagged "historic" and
hence don't show up on the history map.

I have no constructive suggestion to make, just noting the problem.

Volker

PS:
I just created a site relation for the 16th century city walls in Padova,
putting the historic=yes tag on the relation. That should do the trick,
shouldn't it?