[Tagging] Combining gas stations & convenience stores

johnw johnw at mac.com
Tue Dec 16 03:12:58 UTC 2014

> The best way is probably locals developping a tagging scheme for "their" field. The only problem then would be cuisine types that don't exist in the country of which they pretend to come from ;-)

Yep - I’m sure the traditional, sushi, soba, udon, and maybe even the imported-from-china ramen would get lumped into “Japanese” restaurant in the US.

Almost all the imported cultural foods (Sushi in the US, almost all Italian Dishes in Japan) are all warped and changed into something made for the locals. Most Japanese people (out here in rural Japan) look at me in disbelief or amusement when I tell them there is a sushi roll in the US with cream cheese in it.

As long as the taggers stick to the local definition of what the restaurant would be (pizza, Italian, Chinese, etc) - then everything should sort itself out.  Corn, mayo, and mixed seafood is a popular pizza here, pepperoni in the US, and maybe a magehrita in a Italy (I imagine) - As long as it’s a pizza shop, it’s all cuisine=pizza, right?

I guess a "chop suey" house (if they still exist) is what you speak of -  but it would still fall into “Chinese” food, I suppose.

I think we need to work out some really robust presets in the editors to connect the english tags back to the non-english tags, or some really detailed wiki pages in the languages. I don’t the data customers can parse the tags if the non-name data is written in Japanese.

Javbw