[Tagging] city walls (was: Watermill attributes)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 10:51:39 UTC 2014

> (Opening a new thread to keep the conversations clean)
>
> Thanks for this improvement that made appear many walled cities in Veneto
> on your map.
>
> Then I spot checked Rome and found some pieces of city walls that are not
> shown as such.
>
> They are all tagged with historic=citywalls. Taginfo gives 5489 hits. So
> you should add this tag as well

yes, there are 2 established tags for city walls, one is historic=citywalls
and the other is barrier=city_wall
Not to forget historic=city_gate in this context.

There are also very few (i.e. not well established as of now)
barrier=city_gate.

Usually all these objects (if yet existing) are best represented by areas.
Particularly for city gates it might also be interesting to map dismantled
city gates as historic=city_gate (but not as barrier=city_gate).

cheers,
Martin