[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - admin_title=*

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 17 22:23:25 UTC 2014

In the UK "designation=" is in wide usage for this. I don't know if it
is typically a UK thing (it wouldn't surprise me) but local governments
sometimes have the right to change their "style" - for example a "civil
parish" can choose autonomously to call itself a "community council". It
can also choose to call itself a "town council" although I suspect this
needs cooperation from its parent authority. And a council can become a
"city council" basically only through a central decision. Some
"districts" (admin_level=8) have the status of "borough." All this
doesn't change the legal powers and responsibilities of the council,
it's all about what they are "called". There's a lot of snobism involved
as well...

I have tried to summarise a tagging scheme for UK local authorities
here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Csmale/ukboundaries

It is not "official" in any way, they are only my own notes at present -
based on current usage and my thoughts to keep my work on these
boundaries consistent.

I expect the system in Germany is a bit less variable, although the
different Länder seem to have very different local government
structures.

Colin

On 2014-12-17 16:25, Friedrich Volkmann wrote:

> This is about a new attribute for administrative devisions.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/admin_title [1]

Links:
------
[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/admin_title