[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - admin_title=*

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Thu Dec 18 13:42:50 UTC 2014

On 17.12.2014 23:23, Colin Smale wrote:
> In the UK "designation=" is in wide usage for this. I don't know if it is
> typically a UK thing (it wouldn't surprise me) but local governments
> sometimes have the right to change their "style" - for example a "civil
> parish" can choose autonomously to call itself a "community council". It can
> also choose to call itself a "town council" although I suspect this needs
> cooperation from its parent authority. And a council can become a "city
> council" basically only through a central decision.

I think that the name of the council does not matter.

> Some "districts"
> (admin_level=8) have the status of "borough." All this doesn't change the
> legal powers and responsibilities of the council, it's all about what they
> are "called". There's a lot of snobism involved as well...
>
> I have tried to summarise a tagging scheme for UK local authorities here:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Csmale/ukboundaries

So far we have destination=* for the UK, official_status=* for Russia, and
name:prefix for other countries. That diversity makes the tags essentially
unusable for applications. It's a pity that every national OSM community
make up their own tags, without caring what others do, as if there were
berlin walls around each country.

Personally I don't care if the key is admin_title=*, designation=*, or
official_status=*. We just should decide for one.