[Tagging] maxspeed=signals vs. maxspeed:variable=yes + maxspeed=x

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 08:31:56 UTC 2014

Hi!

As the usage of maxspeed:variable continues to increase, I would like to
draw your attention again to its proposal:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Dynamic_maxspeed

In my opinion maxspeed:variable is far superior to maxspeed=signals as it
provides not only the information that the speed limit is variable, but
additionally:
* what is the maximum possible(!) speed limit
* what is the reason(!) for the variable speed limit

I consider both potentially valuable information to data consumers.

Example: On motorways in Austria the speed limit is usually 130 km/h.
Motorways which cross larger cities however have often variable speed
limits and quite often with a maximum speed limit of 80 km/h. That's a long
way down from 130 km/h to 80 km/h. If we provide only the information that
the limit is variable, what speed limit should a consumer assume? Maybe it
would be faster to drive around the city, because there is usually a limit
of 130 km/h?

I want to suggest to remove the recommendation within the wiki for
maxspeed=signals and instead recommend maxspeed:variable=<reason> +
maxspeed=<maximum speed limit> .

Best regards,
Martin