[Tagging] Mapping of kids areas

Никита acroq3 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 12:46:17 UTC 2014

> state that one is outdoors, the other indoors
We speak for new tags now. I don't want to touch old tagging schema
(leisure=playground) with over 200K+ uses, there will be even more people
who don't see need in kids_area=*.

> not convinced. "poor equipment" is not my experience for some places,
this is really depending on the actual place (overall but not only country,
also city and individual playground).
Not truly poor, but you cannot afford TV at playground but you can afford
TV for kids_area=yes. Not because you don't have money for TV but because
you sane enough to keep TV, pencils, mats, fragile toys indoor. Is there
better word to describe it instead of "poor"?

You cannot use plastics and other fragile materials outdoor. We have -40C
during winter even for our european part. Even when you use plastics
outdoor, you will use not only low temp resistant, but also durable (by
durable I mean near vandal resistant).

> Not helpful for distinction
It is not primary distinction but it might help you with particular object
among others suggestions and pictures.

> you would then tag the exact same feature with different main tags, if
the operator is public or private?
I'm sry, I meant "usually by local municipality" and "usually by commercial
companies" here

I don't think it is possible to define clear difference between
hotels/motels or playgrounds/kids_area, but people prefer to classify
them instead of distinguishing them by their individual properties
(indoor-outdoor, fee-no fee, poor equipment-rich equipement, unclear
ownership-most likely commercial company). Instead of 4 or 10 tags in OSM,
real people use words: "детская площадка" (leisure=playground), "детская
игровая комната"(kids_area=*) - this is much simpler and native way to map
objects. This will work for short term, since we want to use kids_area. We
cannot resolve/refine or define leisure=playground, this task is
too heavyweight and out of this proposal.