[Tagging] How to tag an imaginary oneway barrier

Pee Wee piewie32 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 16:14:45 UTC 2014

2014-02-02 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:

> a node still doesn't have a direction, the node could also be the end of
> more than one way, or there could be more ways going into the node, all of
> which would make the situation unclear, and all of which can also happen in
> the future.

I agree but I guess thats why on the traffic_sign wiki there is this
sentence *"It is important to note that the affected direction can only be
unambiguously specified by using nodes which are part of exactly one
highway <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=*. Avoid junction
nodes and nodes between two ways as well (where they have been split, but
are connected by a node). If in doubt, better simply insert a new node into
the way instead of using an existing one. "*

> Advocating tagging a node would require all future map editors to take
> care about the tagging of all nodes when reversing the direction of a way
> or of the connecting nodes when simply adding ways.

I also agree but would this realy be a very big problem for editors? They
could just warn us when this happens. Also splitting a way on a node with a
forward/backward in its tag should give a warning. Much like the warning
JOSM gives when reversing a way when it's a oneway. Also the JOSM
validation is so extensive that I should not be to hard to check for
end-nodes with a forward/backward in it.

> I'd discourage this tagging (and, semantically it doesn't make sense
> anyway).
>
> OK but why does it not make sense semantically? It seems to me that it is
unambigious and a much easier way then the alternatives where
(unfortunately IMHO) a way is cut and I add the traffic_sign:backward node
just a little away from the cut. That does not make sense to me because the
cut is made due to the traffic sign beeing there.

I'm not saying that the option to add a node and use motorcar:backward=no
is the best but IMHO it really is not much different then the
traffic_sign:backward =  tag on a node that belongs to a way.(if its not an
end-node)

If you still don't like it just don't blame me. I got the idea from the
taffic_sign wiki ;-)

Cheers PeeWee32