[Tagging] tag man_made=campanile to be replaced with man_made=belfry?

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 12:11:07 UTC 2014

The tag man_made=campanile documented in the wiki (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dcampanile)
seems to be wrong as it refers to the swedish Klockstapel (
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klockstapel), which is completely different
from a "campanile" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_tower;
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campanile)

As it's use is very limited  (less than 150) it could still be corrected.
The closest concept in English that I can think of is "belfry", so I would
suggest man_made=belfry to replace man_made=campanile in the wiki for the
Scandinavian "Klockstapel", "Klokkestabel", "Kellotapuli", "Klokkestøpul",
for the German "Glockenstapel", and the Hungarian "Harangláb".

The normal tagging for an English "Belltower", Italian "campanile", or
German "Glockenturm" should remain man_made=tower + tower:type= bell_tower
(it's used more then 5000 times).

Volker